Monday, December 2, 2013

DIY Taco Seasoning - That Was Easy!

Put Your Kid to Work & Have Her Mix
I have seen pins floating around Pinterest for making your own Taco seasoning.  I actually am not in


love with the flavor that you get from the packaged Taco seasoning mixes.  So, I decided to give the whole making my own Taco Seasoning thing a try!

I am happy to report that this was much more tasty than what I usually buy.

I liked the info and recipe from Smashed Peas and Carrots the best.  I don't think that it is cheaper to make your own as the little packets are only about $0.75 each.  But, maybe if you already own all the spices it is cheaper?  I had to go shopping.

All you need is:
1/4 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Mix everything together in a bowl.  One packet of store bought taco seasoning will be equal to 2 rounded Tablespoons of this mixture.

Smashed Peas & Carrots says that:
**You can also kick up the heat a notch by adding in 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes!!**.
The Ingredients For Homemade Taco Seasoning
I haven't tried this yet because I didn't want it to be too spicy because I wanted the kids to eat it, too.

Some notes:
  • It is worth buying the big wholesale size chili powder if you plan to make this and store the extra.
  • The texture is much bumpier than I expected.
  • I used smoked paprika because that is what we had and it tasted fine and didn't taste smoked once in the food dish (chili).
  • I think it would be great to make a bunch of spices and seal them in 2 TBS sized pouches with a food sealer.  I hope to seal some and show you all what I am talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment