Monday, November 25, 2013

Saving Money at Target

Target REDcard 5% Off
Another way we save some money is by using the
Target REDcard to save 5% off of our purchases at Target.  You can also get free shipping on items purchased from Target.com.  I have yet to utilize the second perk.  But, I may be using it this holiday season in order to get my shopping done on time.

I love to shop at Target.  I think it is my favorite big box store in the area.  I had read blog posts about saving 5% off of my purchases for years.  The store clerks often mentioned the REDcard as well.  The issue was that I utilize a bank that did not offer real live checks with their checking accounts.  In order to get a REDcard, you HAVE to bring a real live check into the store and get it voided as part of the application process.  I emailed and called my bank asking for a work around.  The only option was a bank information sheet with an example check on the paper that included my account and routing numbers.  However, Target declined this form of a check and I was not able to get my REDcard.

I lived in my sad little world of paying full price at Target until the magical day came when my bank decided to offer real live checks to it's customers!  I signed up for my 50 free checks and happily waited for them to arrive.  Finally, they came in the mail.  I grabbed the first check and headed off to Target.  I opened my REDcard and I have been saving 5% ever since!

I received my REDcard right at the same time that my Target upgraded to a Super Target with a grocery store inside with fresh produce, meat and bakery items.  Since this time I have started shopping at Target a lot more.  With the bonus of being able to get the grocery items that we need, I can buzz into Target to get whatever I need and save time by also getting the grocery items, too.

A really rough estimate of my family's savings at Target with the REDcard would be:
A trip to Target every 2 weeks costing at least $75 is equal to 26 Target trips a year.  The 26 trips cost at least $1,950 per year.  Buy paying for those trips with a Target REDcard, I would save 5% of the $1,950 or $97.50.  In addition, I usually spend at least $200 on birthdays and at least $500 on Christmas at Target.  Another 5% off of that $700 in spending is another $35 in savings which brings my total Target savings to $132.50 per year.

I hope that this helps your family save some money.  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Also, check out my first article about how we save some money at Cumberland Farms here.

Disclosure
I haven't been compensated by Target for my post.  I just like to find ways to save money so I can spend some money on purses, kid toys and occasionally getting my nails done.

No comments:

Post a Comment