Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Product Review - Wilton Cupcake Cake Pan

the pan and cake (after baking)


The title of this week's product(s) review should actually be Wilton Cupcake Cake Pan and Baker's Joy.  I was actually going to give this Cupcake Cake Pan a big fat F.  The last time I used it, I followed the directions:  I baked at 325 degrees, I sprayed it with butter, then floured the pan and I took the cake out after 10 minutes of cooling.  But, my cakes both stuck in the pan.  This was the second time that this has happened to me.

After the last Cupcake Cake disaster, I did some Google'ing and found that people REALLY recommended that you use Pam with Flour to keep this cake from sticking.  I decided to buy some.  My grocery store carried all kinds of Pam, but none with flour.  My store did carry Baker's Joy.  I decided that for $2.04, it was worth a shot.  I am so happy that I tried this out!  I'm now a believer.  Baker's Joy is my new baking BFF.  It really works.  Both parts of the cupcake cake slid right out of the pan.  I should add a note that I used a lot of spray.  You could probably get away with 1/2 the amount that I used.  When it comes to this particular pan, though, I'll continue to use a lot.

I used a Devil's Food Cake recipe for this cake.  After mixing it up, it had some lumps and I seemed to have a lot of batter.  I also read that sometimes people need 1.5 boxes of cake mix to make this cupcake cake.  One box was plenty for this cake.  As you can see to the right, both sections are filled up to about 1.5 inches from top.  (I'm really not sure why my batter looks lumpy - the mixer really mixed it up).




I had to bake this cake for 55 minutes, in a pre-heated oven .  I think 53 minutes was probably the magic number.  But, I just tried some of the shavings and they are really moist and tasty.  The shavings apply to the part of the cupcake cake that you cut off with a large knife.  I use a bread knife myself.
some cupcake repairs (frosting)
LOVE this stuff


speed deco


cake - very moist




No comments:

Post a Comment