Monday, September 30, 2013

Monthly Challenge: Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes

Monthly Challenge: Cooking From My Cookbooks

Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes
Source: 50 Best Mashed Potatoes by Sarah Reynolds, page 15

Since I have a bunch of cookbooks, I decided I need a monthly challenge to get myself motivated to cook something new.  I have whittled down my cookbook collection from it's high point in 2003-2004. However, it is still a bit out of control for a person who hardly ever uses REAL LIVE COOKBOOKS.

I do occasionally use the cookbooks to meal plan and cook.  But, I am a very visual person.  Most often, I decide to cook something after seeing in prepared by someone else.  I love blogs, Pinterest, Facebook posts and The Pioneer Woman's TV show for inspiration.

This particular recipe is pretty much what you would expect.  I made the mashed potatoes in the KitchenAid Mixer with the paddle attachment.

Here is Sarah Reynolds' recipe:

2 LBS of potatoes, peeled and quartered
3/4 CUP of sour cream
3 TBS of butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 TSP salt
1/4 TSP fresh ground pepper
1/4 CUP snipped chives

Boil the potatoes for 15-20 minute.  Drain them but, reserve 1/4 CUP of the cooking water to use later if they are a bit too dry after mashing.

Put the hot potatoes back in the pan and mash them until smooth.  Add the sour cream, butter, salt and pepper.  Mash until fluffy.  Stir water in, if necessary (it wasn't for me).  Add chives, stir and serve.

Here is my review:
These were simple and yummy mashed potatoes that were exactly what you would expect from something titled Sour Cream & Chive Mashed Potatoes!  I even used freeze-dried chives and found them to be very tasty.  We reheated them twice after the initial meal and they were good both of those times, as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment