Monday, October 14, 2013

My Husband Cooks - Veggie Spiral

 
Veggie & Potato Spiral before baking
When my husband and I were dating, he used to be a fabulous cook!  He was on Weight Watchers and he had a bunch of WW cookbooks that he used.  He would pick recipes, shop for ingredients and then cook!  When we started cohabitating, he stopped cooking.  I think it was mostly due to the fact that he got home a lot later in the evening than I did.  I tease him about this occasionally and then he usually cooks something, yum yum!

Veggie & Potato Spiral with Parm After Baking
On one of our weekly menus, I mention that I am going to make a Veggie Spiral.  I made this once before and it is actually a Veggie & Potato Spiral.  I really like side dishes that contain a veggie and a carb because then I just need to find a protein.  I found this recipe through Pinterest and it eventually links to this site.

All you need is:
3 peeled potatoes
1 Squash
2 Zucchinis
2 Tomatoes
1 onion
garlic
olive oil
parmesan cheese (grated)
spices that you like or just salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Sautee the garlic and onion in olive oil.  While that is cooking, wash and slice the zucchini, squash and tomatoes.  Placed the cooked onions in the bottom of your 1.5.-2 quart casserole dish.  Layer the veggies in a spiral-ish form on top of the onions.  Drizzle with olive oil and spices.

Bake, covered, for 40 minutes.  Remove cover and add parm.  We baked it uncovered for another 35 minutes or so and it still then needed 10 more minutes.  So, I think you should leave it covered or, use canned sliced potatoes.  If you use the canned potatoes, then I think the cooking time can be halved.  If I use them next time then I will update this post with the results.

PS
If you have leftovers, transfer them to another storage container because this casserole dish will most likely have too much liquid in the bottom.




No comments:

Post a Comment